Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"J's Sporting Tavern"


Exactly what you do or don't think could happen has or has not happened here. Dave and I have wondered about this spot for years. On a summer afternoon, last year we finally decided to brave the mess and venture inside after much contemplation to if it was even open. Surrounded by new subdivisions and the lumpy, copingless Eagle skate park( at which we had just finished a short session) it sticks out like guts on a fence. Upon closer inspection there was an open sign and one truck outside. Walking through the door we were not greeted. It kind of felt like we were intruding. There was just as much shit piled everywhere inside as out. A crusty eyed Vet with a flash of White hair standing up on end was folding American flags on a pool table covered with debris." Do you serve beer in here? ",I asked"Oh........... sometimes", he calmly replied barely looking up. Dave and I shortly there after enjoyed three of the most reasonably priced, and coldest bottles of Bud to be had. All the time looking around at dusty relics,piles of debris, WWII paraphernalia, old knife cases, and full ashtrays. The old timer told us of his dislike for Mormans, Californians,and Blacks. We were then met by an odd duo of "regulars". Most of the stories the three(old bartender too) told made little to no sense. One of the two, whom regularly shot a uncomfortable glance at me secretly handed me some reefer under the bar top. We left shortly after this unusual and generous gesture. I recommend stopping by this place as I'm sure it's existence is about to come to an end. I'd be surprised if it is still open today but, who knows? Maybe with some new clientle it could be back on the map.

No comments:

Post a Comment